Here are some wonderful, natural and CHEAP recipes for natural cleaning products. You can scent them with essential oils like lemon, lavendar, bergamot, or orange to make them smell lovely.
I use white vinegar, hydrogen peroxide, and baking soda for pretty much every cleaning need in the kitchen and beyond. Get rid of your bleach and try this instead:
GENERAL PURPOSE CLEANERS
1. Bottle one: a mixture of white vinegar and water, about ¼ cup vinegar to 32 oz. water
2. Bottle two: 50/50 hydrogen peroxide and water
* This bottle needs to be opaque, or as close as you can get. Hydrogen peroxide breaks down with exposure to light. You can also try putting a spray bottle top directly on a peroxide brown bottle. Buy a dollar store small spray bottle and you’ve got your opaque bottle with the peroxide already.
3. Baking soda. If you keep your baking soda for cleaning in a repurposed Parmesan cheese container, you can sprinkle it wherever you need to.
Added Bonus: All three are totally frugal. You can buy a box of baking soda and a bottle of hydrogen peroxide for less than a dollar.
Just remember, however, that you must NEVER mix bleach and vinegar. The mixture will give off toxic fumes that can kill you. Banish the bleach to the farthest corner in your house.
Did you know you could use a spray bottle of water and newsprint to clean your windows and mirrors? It works amazingly. Just spray the glass with water and use old newspaper to as a rag to clean and dry up the water. Voila! Crystal clear glass.
You can also use the vinegar water mixture above and use a rag with a touch of dishsoap OR you could use the vinegar water mixture with the old newspaper. Cheap and easy.
I used to think that a strong chemical smell was equivalent to clean. Unless I could smell the bleach, the Lysol and the Pinesol, it wasn’t “clean”. However, that is NOT true. These cleaners contain fumes that are actually toxic synthetic chemicals. These chemicals are the “scents” that we have associated with “clean”. But for hours or days afterwards, after I would clean, I wouldn’t feel well. These cleansers were irritants to my lungs and brain. A few years ago, I threw them all out. I encourage you to do the same.
Have you ever felt ill after inhaling too much bleach? Do you feel that tickle in your throat when you clean with it? Imagine if you could get your countertops just as clean and “disinfected” with natural products that wouldn’t make your nose burn.
Bleach is as much of a toxin as it is a cleaner. Here are some of the hazards:
Damage to nervous system
Accidents that cause the skin to come into direct contact with bleach or people ingesting it (as many as 700 adults per year)
Linked to cancer
All those fumes get trapped inside your home or office and lead to indoor air pollution problems now and down the road. COPD (congestive obstructive pulmonary disease) and lung cancer are rampant now.
Instead, I now choose cleansers that I can make at home inexpensively or I buy non-toxic cleaners like Method or Mrs. Meyer’s Clean Day . I love Method Grapefruit spray- it smells scrumptious! You can buy it anywhere now, even at Target, your grocery store or online. A great store-bought scouring powder is Barkeeper’s Friend. But plain baking soda works great! It’s inexpensive and is not harsh. Avoid window cleaners with ammonia too, like Windex. You can use window cleaning solutions made by the companies mentioned or use the special recipes that I will post on Thursday.
Posted in Healthy Lives, Natural Cleaners
Tagged ammonia, Barkeeper's Friend, bleach, chemicals, cleansers, lysol, Method, Mrs. Meyer's, natural cleaners, petrochemicals, pinesol
This gallery contains 1 photos.
I just love this time of year. After months of being couped up inside, the weather is finally nice and the air is fresh. It’s time for Spring cleaning! I love opening my windows and letting the fresh air in … Read more